Are you the type of person who takes a complex puzzle and finds ways to solve it? Do you like the Rubiks Cube and has no problem solving it at all? If you are a lover of these problems, then you might have an Engineering mind and this might be the ideal career path for you
What is Engineering all about? Everything you need to know!
What is it that Engineers do? And what is it that you study in an Engineering degree? It is actually about using Mathematics and Science to solve some of the complex problems that make life better. This is where engineers use their knowledge in mathematics, analytical skills and technology to create new solutions and structures so that our lives become more efficient. If you must know, things like our toilets, shopping centers and any device at all have some form of engineering element in them. Having said that, there are various types of engineering courses in the market. Which one would be ideal for you? Here are some examples.
- Civil Engineering – A very popular course among Engineering majors which is involved in physical and built environments. We are talking about roads and buildings where engineers are involved in the designing, maintaining and the construction of these structures
- Chemical Engineering – Engineers in this field is involved in areas like petroleum refineries and manufacturing of plastics by converting them from raw materials and chemicals.
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering – Another very popular engineering major which involves areas like satellite communications and microprocessor development. Students learn about electronics and electricity, among others and how they are applied
- Mechanical Engineering – This major deals with vehicles and medical devices, among others
- Aeronautical Engineering – Deals with vehicles that travel in the air and space
How do you fare for an Engineering degree?
You need to have some good results in certain areas if you want to study engineering. In fact, you need to have passion in these areas in order to make the cut as an engineer. This is no easy course to do and you will chart your career in these areas for a long time. So, if you do not have an interest in those areas, you might not want to enroll into this degree. To qualify, you need to have:
- At least 5 credits in SPM or ‘O’ Levels. You should have good passes in Physics, Add Maths and Mathematics. This will only gain you entry to Pre-University. Besides that, you must also have
- At least 3Cs in your STPM or ‘A’ Levels which must be Physics and Mathematics
- At least ATAR 70.0 in Australian Matriculation including Maths and Physics
- An average of at least 70% in Canadian Pre-University with good results in the 2 subjects
- An average of 60% or CGPA of 2.5 in Foundation – Must be in Engineering or Science
The Pathway to becoming an Engineer
In most cases, you will need 4 years to complete an engineering degree. There are some universities that offer shorter duration like 3 years but the bottom line is that the degree is only your first step. Take note that you must have a degree that is accredited and you will need to take up a professional course after that in order to become a practicing engineer in Malaysia. This is where you need to pass the professional assessment examination by the Board of Engineers of Malaysia. Then, you will carry the IR status.
Below are some of the best universities in Malaysia where you can get your first Engineering degree.
SEGi University – Engineering Focused
SEGi University is one of the private universities in Malaysia which is very focused on Engineering courses. Here, you can obtain your degree depending on which specialization from RM76,000 at their Kota Damansara campus. You can get a dual award here which is partnered either with University of Sunderland or University of Greenwich with a Bachelor of Engineering (Hons).
Asia Pacific University – Technologically Advanced
At APU, you can study for the Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) degree at a cost of RM90,000. The course is accredited by the BEM or Board of Engineers Malaysia where you get to enjoy some of the best facilities from a private university.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia – British degree at its best
Perhaps not the cheapest but surely one of the most recognized. You can do the 3 years or 4 years course depending on your preference. The tuition fees here are about RM130,000 where you can major in areas like Civil, Petroleum, Mechanical, Chemical or Electrical & Electronic.
Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP) – Malaysia’s No.1 Private University
Recently ranked Number 1 in the private university list, UTP is where you can enroll for the Bachelor of Engineering (Hons) course at about RM80,000. This institution is very established with a good reputation since its part of the national oil and gas company. It is after all ranked in the world’s top 250 in QS in the engineering area.
The University of Nottingham Malaysia – Undergraduate and postgraduate
The tuition fees here is about RM140,000 for the degree course and RM190,000 for masters. It is among the most recognized universities in the world for research and more so in the engineering fields which means you get to enjoy some of the best resources in completing your degree.