A medical degree is a basic degree you need if you have always wanted to be a doctor. If you have imagined saving lives and offering your medical advice to people, then this is the route you must take.
MBBS – The term you will always see
You would have seen the term MBBS in front of the door of the clinic you are at and that is usually referred to as the title of the doctor. If you are a certified doctor, this title follows you. If you have always wanted to be involved in healing people (through medication and treatment means), then the MBBS qualification is what you are looking for. But in order to succeed in this line of work, you MUST be able to stomach a lot of psychological stress. This includes the sight of blood, people in pain and children who are sick, among others.
What do you learn from a medical degree?
When you study medicine, you are going to be heavily involved in science. This is where you will be involved in learning about how a disease is diagnosed, treated and prevented. A course in medicine is where you will utilize healthcare methods to maintain the healthy wellbeing of an individual. As a medical doctor, you are basically certified to be a GP or General Practitioner. In other words, you are trusted to diagnose common sicknesses like flu and fever and prescribe medication as well. However, there are many areas of specialization in this field that you can get involved in. This includes:
- Internal Medicine – Involves treatment of conditions in the internal areas like heart, kidney, and liver
- Anesthesiology – A very specialized area of medicine where you are trained to provide the right treatment for pain relief usually around surgery sessions
- Obstetrics and Gynecology – You will be rained to treat women in the area of childbirth and the reproductive organs
- Emergency Medicine – This field prepares you to provide necessary treatment which requires immediate attention like accidents and such
- Pediatrics – You will be trained to work with children and those growing up
- Orthopedics – This area of medicine involves the musculoskeletal system of the human bodies.
- Surgery – You will be trained on being a surgeon to deal with any conditions that require such a process
The Pathway to become a doctor
A degree does not mean you are qualified to become a doctor. Take note that a medical degree is longer than most other degrees. In fact, to get your degree in medicine, you will need at least 5 years. And that is just the start. In Malaysia, you have to go through a training course known as ‘housemanship’. This will make you eligible to become a fully registered medical practitioner. Housemanship will take 2 years and it is a compulsory requirement. After that, you will become a MO or medical officer. You can then spend the next few years branching into the specialization of your choice. If you are planning to become a specialist, you will need to take a postgraduate course which will typically be another 4 to 5 years. After that, you need to go through another 2 to 4 years of supervised training. This simply means that you need at least 7 years of training (academic and practical) to become a registered doctor in Malaysia and another 3 years if you want to become a specialist in any of the medical fields.
Are you Eligible to study medicine?
You need to have very good results to enter into a medical degree. You must have at least:
- 3 Principal passes in STPM or ‘A’Levels – which must either be AAC/ ABC or BBB. This must be the science subjects or in mathematics
- Average of 80% in Science subjects or Mathematics or ATAR 80.0 average in the same subjects
- At least 3.0 CGPA in Foundation in Science or in any public Matriculation program
- Take note that in your SPM, you will need to score at least 5Bs which must include all the science subjects, mathematics and Additional Mathematics
Below are some of the institutes of higher learning in Malaysia that you can study for a medical degree.
SEGi University – Affordable, Quality Medicine Education
At SEGi University, you can take the Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery (MBBS) course which will cost about RM350,000. This is among the most affordable ones in the market which is offered at its Kota Damansara campus.
Penang Medical College – Established with a good reputation
The Penang Medical College is an institution owned by 2 of the most prestigious Irish medical universities which are the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) and University College Dublin (UCD). You can obtain your Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery (MBBS) degree here at around RM630,000.
MAHSA University – an Exciting, new campus
The MAHSA University offers the Bachelor of Medicine & Surgery (MBBS) at less than RM400,000. This is offered at their new campus in Bandar Saujana Putra which has some of the state-of-the-art facilities including new teaching and learning methods.
At IMU, you can study for the Bachelor of Medical Sciences (Hons) course. Its state-of-the-art campus in Bukit Jalil is among the most high-tech in the country with course fees at about RM600,000.